Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fostering update

While I'm at this, thought it would be a good time to update on the fostering adventures of MrsRev and I. Since we became foster parents in the fall of '07 we've had eight different children come into our lives. The first two little boys that came to us in October of '07 left in November '08 and January '09; one to a special needs home and one to be adopted by family. The little girl that joined us in December of '07 will be staying with us as we will be adopting her as soon as the courts approve it. Another young man (10y/o) joined us in April of '08 and is still with us. All the others have been short term or vacation placements. Right now we have a 3y/o girl and two boys 10 and 5.
I've been asked numerous times over the last 16 months about why we do it and why we take in so many children. The simple answer is, because we can. Yes I am in my fouties, but I'm not dead yet. Yes, MrsRev is a full-time student, but she's a home study student with University of Phoenix. We have room in our home and room in our hearts to accomodate chidren who need love, consistency and stability in their lives. Why wouldn't we share it? How could we not share it? Foster parenting has been one of the most challenging but also one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. My heart and my life is so completely full when that little girl looks at me and says, "Daddy, I love you." Who could ask for more?

No comments: